Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Proposition 8

I am not one to talk to the masses, or even my co-workers, about my political views, but I feel like I need to speak up. I am greatly disappointed and saddened by California passing Proposition 8. I don't live there anymore, but plan on returning one day. I have always been proud to call California "home" and thought the people were more open in their thinking. Moving to Virginia has greatly opened my eyes to how closed minded some people are in this country. Someone very close to me is gay and I have met only 3 people in this state that I have felt comfortable enough to tell. I believe in equal rights and letting everyone live the life they want to live as long as they do not hurt anyone. I cannot believe the same people who voted for a minority president voted to ban gay marriage. Marriage gives two people certain rights that nothing else does. Telling a couple that because they are the same sex they cannot have these rights is discrimination. I expected the gay marriage ban to pass to other states, but not in California.

2 comments:

Laura said...

This horrifed me. One of my best friends got married last weekend before he lost the right to. I don't understand how people can vote for something that limits the civil rights of _anyone_. We are all equal here.
It makes me so sad. But I do think that Obama sent a messege in his speech last night that crap like this won't be tolerated.

Anonymous said...

I agree girl! I miss the open minded people of CA and agree with you on the folks here in Virginia! I am sad that the state is turning this way.