Sunday, April 19, 2009

My Journey into Alternative Medicine

I believe in traditional medicine, but chronic pain does something to your mind and emotions that makes you willing to try just about anything. I need to believe that there is something out there that can help me. I have been in pain for over four months since the car accident and traditional medicine has not been able to help me. When my doctor first mentioned acupuncture to me a few months ago, I brushed it off as something I would never do because it's not traditional medicine and I don't like needles (who does?). Well...given that I don't have any other options and I'm really willing to try just about anything at this point...I tried acupuncture. I went twice last week and have two appointments for next week. It's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be...you know, the whole being stuck with a bunch of needles thing. I just keep my eyes closed. After the needles are inserted, I sit there listening to music and breathing deeply for a while and it is very relaxing. It hasn't been a magic pill to cure me yet, but I'm hoping it will work.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Wow, that sucks Patrice. I didn't realize you are still in pain. Is it still really bad headaches? Hang in there and make sure you are your own advocate in the health care system. Be persistent.

Patrice said...

Yep, still headaches (and neck/back pain), but the headaches are the worst. Nonstop headaches. It's really hard dealing with an HMO. On Friday I got my Dr. to agree that if acupuncture doesn't work that I can get a referral to a neurologist, which is what I wanted from the beginning.

Laura said...

Not to scare you, but a similar thing happened to a friend of mine from work. It took her over 1.5 years to sort it out. In the end, it was the fact that there was an open enrollment and she was able to change from a HMO to a different plan that saved her. But it was a similar thing--headaches and vomitting for months after a car crash. Good luck and definitely be persistent. Be the squeaky wheel!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear you're still in pain. WOW. I had no idea. That is awful.

I have had acupuncture for everything from allergies, to extreme PMS, a pinched nerve and pink eye. It worked for me every time. I hope you have good results. I'll be thinking about you.