Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Yep, It's Frozen

I came home from work tonight to a hot house. I knew something was wrong the minute I walked in. I checked the thermostat and it said 77 even though I set it to 72. I suspected the dirty filter since I don't clean it as often as I should. My husband then cleaned it and my test was to see if the A/C worked better without it. Nope. The A/C unit is only a little over a year old so I was really surprised that it wasn't working. It was running, but the air was not very cold. So I got all cranky and called the repair service (we have an annual contract so these repair visits do not cost extra). I was told it would be a "few hours". Ugh, oh well, that's better than waiting until tomorrow. The guy ended up getting here about an hour later. We told him that the filter was really dirty so he knew right away what to look for. Before I even got out of the basement he called me back to show me that it was frozen. He showed me the ice that was caused by the dirty filter. Yikes, I knew this could happen, but had no idea waiting three months to clean it would do this. True, my husband creates lots and lots of dust from his workshop, but I did not think this would happen. So now the unit is turned off and we are waiting for it to thaw. Hopefully it will thaw before it’s time for bed so that there is some hope of cooling off the bedroom. Lesson learned.

No comments: