Friday, February 19, 2010

Weeds

When Snowmageddon covered my satellite dish with snow and couldn't get a signal I decided to hook up the Roku and find something to watch. The Roku is a little box that has a wireless connection and streams movies and TV shows from Netflix and Amazon on Demand to the TV. Only the "watch instantly" movies work from Netflix so the choices are limited.

I had Season 1 of the Showtime series Weeds in my Netflix queue so I started watching it...and really like it! It's about a woman whose husband just recently died from a heart attack and she sells weed to support her family in an upper middle class suburban neighborhood. The show also makes fun of suburbia which I find hilarious, even though I happen to love suburban life. The intro and theme song crack me up every time (click here to see it). I embrace it, but know some of it is ridiculous. She refuses to sell to kids, is on the "healthy eating" committee of the PTA, but then sells to all the parents at soccer games and in their minivans. It's considered a dramedy (kinda like Ally McBeal was) where there's lots of humor, but serious stuff too. I'm still on season 1 and there have been 5 seasons so far so this will keep me busy for a while.

No comments: