Monday, April 19, 2010

Letting Go

He says I need to let go. I don't see it as not wanting to let go, but wanting to keep them safe. It's a big bad world out there that is dangerous for a little kitty. My husband wants to let the cats go outside, preferably full time since he is upset about them ruining furniture and peeing outside the litter box. We have occasionally taken them in the back yard and watched them, but now he's letting them go out and not watching them. They are more adventurous when we go with them. Now Minky goes by himself and comes back after a few minutes, but each time he stays out longer. Yesterday when he didn't come back after his usual time I went out looking for him and couldn't find him. I thought for sure he was gone and I'd never see him again. By the time I got back to the house, practically in tears, he was waiting by the door to be let in.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww. I would never be able to do it. They wander off too far and I would be worried sick that one of them would be hit by a car. If my cat ever got out, I'd be hysterical. She's been exclusive to indoors for 12 years though... so she wouldn't survive a second. Do what you feel most comfortable with. If you don't think it's time to let them go outside full time, then maybe you should talk about letting them out for a few hours at a time? :(

Laura said...

Tell your husband that cats that go outdoors have a much much shorter lifespans than indoor cats. If you want I can provide him with pictures of cats that have been hit by cars or eaten by dogs or coyotes. It's one of the saddest parts of my job and it's completely preventable. I wouldn't do it.
We have a one year old cat in the hospital right now that was attacked by a dog. He can't walk due to a spinal injury and his intestines are herniated through his body wall. He needs an abdominal surgery for the hernia and he may never walk again. The owners will probably spend $7000-$8000. I hope he makes it.
Sorry to be so graphic but I see it on a daily basis.

Rebecca said...

Please tell me that your cats at least still have their claws? No cat without claws should go outside.