Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Young Adult 90's Flashback

On Friday I stayed home from work to do a "flush" per doctors orders (hope that's not TMI).  I did not know how long it would take so I took a day off when I knew I could be home alone and have a day of relaxation.  I did some blogging and watched a couple chick movies that I knew Chris would not like.  First up was Pitch Perfect that I really enjoyed.  If you like Glee, see this movie.  If you don't like Glee, skip it.  The second movie I watched was Young Adult which really depressed me, but I could not bring myself to turn it off.  Charlize Theron plays a woman named Mavis probably in her mid 30's who just got divorced. She sits around all day working as a ghost writer, watching reality TV with her dog, drinking and eating bad food.  I could totally see this happening to me if I were suddenly alone!  After the movie I couldn't sit and watch TV anymore, I had to get up and do something...so I cleaned the house.  I was not going to be Mavis...even for one day!!!

On the bright side, the movie had some great songs from the 1990's in it.  Mavis sings this one over and over again and it has been in my head ever since.  It's called "The Concept" by Teenage Fanclub.

She wears denim wherever she goes
Says she's gonna get some records by the Status Quo
Oh yeah...Oh yeah...
 
Still she won't be forced against her will
Says she don't do drugs but she does the pill
Oh yeah...Oh yeah...


I didn't want to hurt you oh yeah...
I didn't want to hurt you oh yeah...




2 comments:

Al said...

Completely agree! That movie was a big, depressing let down.

Laura said...

I saw this movie in the theater and really enjoyed it but it was kind of like watching a train wreck. The scene where she completely breaks down (wasn't it a baby shower or something like that) was so painful to watch!