Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A Trip Around the World

360 Degrees Longitude: One Family's Journey Around the World

The Highman family had been planning their trip around the world for over 10 years. They scrimped and saved and the kids grew up always knowing they were going to travel the world. The mom and dad had high tech jobs in the Silicon Valley that they quit, they took the kids (ages 8 and 11) out of school and traveled around the world for a year. They home schooled the kids and brought books for them to read about the places they visited. I loved this book, but would never want to take a trip like this because it seems like too much work and too much sleeping outside. They spent $120K on this trip and most of it was spent in camp grounds and hostels. Oh...and they rode tandem bikes across Europe as their form of transportation. Not everything goes right for this family and they had to make some changes along the way, but they had a great time and never wished to be home. I'm surprised the kids were able to keep up with the physical activities they did and kept from being too bored by reading a lot. The trip started in Iceland and ended in Belize. Since I love traveling so much, I love reading about other people's travels. I know it's a good book when I feel like I'm on the trip with them, and I definitely did with this one. I highly recommend it!

No comments: